Sunday, January 4, 2009

AMC

So here we go: after three weeks of tucking into a ball, feeling sorry for myself and making countless comparisons between my old and... older home, I got my act together and started church shopping. Now when I say this aloud I get curious looks and I suspect you're giving one to the screen right now, but surely someone out there must know what I mean. Basically, I've started looking around, observing what congregations are in the area, the type of teaching provided, the manner of Bible studies, the friendliness of the people involved, etc.

I had it easy last time, with Lynn conducting her appraisal at the same time; we ended up at FBC together (which was odd at first since I'd attended a nondenominational church while in Longview) and enjoyed it enough to stay and stick it out (then again, there was one summer where I nearly abandoned them, mainly out of selfishness and a massive, ill-thought superiority complex - and nearly left the next summer because I missed home so much and then a year and a half later I finally just left for home and here I am at last and miss them all dearly). It does not even scratch the surface to say that I watched FBC grow a great deal, not just in numbers, but in their love for the Word, people and the community, particularly the college crowd. Because of that... I'm a little spoiled. Sue me. I'm afraid it'll take a while to find a new place in the RGV, especially since there are some larger churches in nearby cities that I want to check out. I imagine all of this will take a few months, to say the least, but I'm approaching it with as an adult a purpose as I can dredge up from within myself. Aaaand now my pessimistic side is branding this whole thing with a big fat FAIL.

Sigh. At least I was able to politely decline an invitation to a Jehovah's Witness worship service. That's something, right?

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP